Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Few Of My Favorite Things

My work day started like any other second day at work. I had nothing to do without my computer so I was reading a book. (For the record, in the afternoon I started a project that I don't need a computer to do. I didn't know those still existed). As I'm reading, my telephone rings. Normally this would be an ordinary occurance, but since I just started it was my first phone call. It was the branch secretary saying she'd received some boxes with both of our names on them. That could only mean one thing - they were my boxes from J'ville!

On my last day at work, I boxed up my manuals, files and some personal items into three boxes that were to be sent to my new office. I went down the hall to claim them. I loaded them onto a cart and headed back to my desk. I then realized that I was beaming. I couldn't stop smiling. I was that excited to get my things. I couldn't wait to open them and find MY Processing Manual, with it's special tabs and well worn Must BL lists; MY Edit Specs, with a tab for every letter making it so easy to find what I'm looking for; MY files that may not make sense to anyone else; MY notepad that I've had since the first day that has more doodles than notes, MY double picture frame with family pictures in it; MY calendar of The Office; and MY picture of Novak (yes, even he made the move). It was like Christmas! But better because you know all your favorite things are inside. Imagine!

What I find the most amusing was that others noticed my joy as well. It just couldn't be contained. I readily admitted to my new cubicle neighbors that I was so happy to have my things and that it really was like Christmas. I think they were definitely amused. I know that I can be animated sometimes, but this was different. I was calm, but just very happy.

This got me thinking, why was I so excited to get these boxes? I had all my apartment belongings delivered yesterday and wasn't nearly as excited. It's simple. These items represent home to me. I have spent more waking hours with the items in these 3 boxes than I have anything in my apartment. These items being in my new cube help bridge the gap from my time in the J'ville office to the time I will spend here. Yeah, my day to day activities will look different, but I can still reference the same binder of forms when I have a question, or flip to the exact spot I need in a manual, or find what time zone North Dakota is in.

Now if only my co-workers from J'ville would magically appear up here too... I have Molly's school picture on the right side of my cubicle since I can no longer look to my right and see her wonderful mother Jessica. I 'saw' Craig at my metro stop coming home from work. I catch myself thinking that the guy behind me is Nathaniel and he'll see me squirming around in my chair bored. I flipped to the picture of Misty and I from her Christmas party in my album. And I was so happy that Steph sent my boxes on time I almost called her. (I didn't because it was close to 4 by the time I was free, but don't worry, it'll happen soon.)

So to sum it all up, today was a good day. I made a big step in making DC feel like home. Even if it took bringing some of J'ville here. Who would have thought I'd find that place comforting?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I see you arrived and are safe in DC!
Im glad you're already putting your skills to good use getting on here during work hours!!!

We miss you!!!!