Thursday, April 24, 2014

Simple Truths

This morning I felt like I was living in a #tbt picture. After my physical therapy appointment, I took my old metro stop to work. It’s been years since I rode the metro to work everyday, but as soon as I grabbed my paper and started walking down the escalator it felt like I’d never stopped.

I knew to walk cautiously in these shoes because the soles sometimes slip on the escalator. I knew the exact spot to stand on the platform to be at the door when the train arrived. (And of course that is the exact door you want to catch the escalator at my transfer stop.)  I stood and read the paper with one hand and my brain still knew when to stop reading and start toward the door. As I made my way to the perfect spot to catch the next train, I realized this commute will always be a part of me.

Our days are made up of all these mundane tasks; commuting to work, eating lunch, making tea, doing laundry. And yet it's those little moments that make up your life, that shape who you are. It’s such a simple truth that should impact how I view every hour of every day.

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. - Annie Dillard

1 comment:

Bryan and Kandice said...

AS a fellow Metro commuter - I tip my hat to you dear one!