This post is a month overdue, but it's so important to me that I'm writing it anyway. Ross and I were both blessed with amazing siblings and November provided the opportunities for us to show them our love and support.
Part 1: My big sister runs her first marathon!
This past Memorial Day we made the long drive out to Indiana and spent some time with my sister and her family. She told us at dinner one night she had decided to train for a marathon that would be in November. She'd train and run the race with her friend Stacy and then her friend Katherine would come up from Atlanta to run the half with her. I knew that I wanted to try and be there. Scrath that, I needed to be there. I went to PLENTY of my sister's events growing up - basketball games, cheerleading, swim meets, and school plays. All of this was because I had no choice. I would be there with my parents unless I had my own game or practice to attend. I was always a little annoyed that she would get a free pass from my events when she went to college. But the craziest thing happened - my sister would still make a point to come to see me as often as she could. And not begrudgingly, but with joy. I'll always remember how much it meant to me that she brought me flowers for my senior play. I was excited to finally in the same way express, "Sister I love and support you too." So the first weekend of November, Ross and I hopped on a plane and went to Indiana for the weekend.

We all met up in the hotel lobby to go over our game plan for the day. Ross was the official photographer, so that's why you won't see him much. Please note how happy she is before the race. And if you're wondering why she has on a sparkly skirt,
click here.

And they're off! (She's still all smiles.)

Ross, Dad, Bryan and I all head to Monument Circle to cheer the girls on around the 2.5 mile mark...

...while mom stays with the little one in the hotel.

There they are! Still looking good with about 23.7 miles to go.

The cheering section drives across town to mile marker 14. The plan is that my dad will stay there and run a mile with them, and then Bryan will jump in and take his place. After cheering on so many runners that my hands hurt from clapping, Ross and I made our way closer to the car...

...so we could see my dad run by! We hopped in the car and drove like crazy for a few blocks to catch them again as they got to mile 15.

At this point, Bryan jumped in to run with a "convenience store" in his waist pack and a homemade shirt on.

Now I had the honor of trying to figure out how to get back downtown with all the road closings.

Finally we get to mile 22 and wait for our runners by cheering for all the others running by. I have to admit this was a highlight. At this point, they've all made it 22 miles and to see the joy when they realized how far they'd already come and relatively how little they had left was incredible. And then Bryan, Kandice, and Stacy arrived. The girls have ran 22 miles at this point and are STILL smiling.

And then it was my turn to jump in. Around mile 25, we passed someone playing music for the runners and our song just happened to be "Can't Touch This". Yes, there was some Hammer dancing going on. But then the theme music from "Chariots of Fire" came on and I couldn't hold back the tears. Running the last four miles with these girls was inspiring. Here they were just minutes away from accomplishing a goal they have been training months for. A goal that few people have the courage to try (me included). But it also reminded me of an even greater race we run, a life of faith. "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

And while we were running, the rest of the family got in position to cheer at the finish line.

And there she is! Only a matter of feet from the finish and she is still smiling.

This is my favorite picture from the day. It's a beautiful picture of "fixing our eyes".

DONE!!!

The happy family at the end of the race.

Kandice, we are so proud of you! It was such an honor to be there with you. You are such an inspiration to me in so many ways. I always wanted to be like you and we have the childhood pictures to prove it. :) But I think even more important than that is I've seen you become this beautiful woman who is an amazing wife, mother and friend. A woman who loves Jesus and isn't afraid to run with perseverance. I think that's even cooler than when you wore your hair in a side ponytail.
And if you want my sister's take on the day, check out her blog
here.

Just because she's adorable.
3 comments:
Thank you Kari and Ross for your loving and humble acts of service. It was a pure JOY to see you cheering in the NAPA hat and to have you finish the race together. You my dear Kari encourage my heart greatly! Cheers to running! I am game for joining you for your first marathon - I know you have the strength!
I love you sooo much, and you just made me cry. You are sooo beautiful inside and out...
I love watching you two girls loving, respecting and honoring one another... XOXO MOM
You do have such a wonderful sister! Those marathon pics were so exciting!!!
I love Reverb-10 too :) My sister used the prompts as daily warm-ups for her writing class! Your shower sounds wonderful. I really wish I could have been there!!
Post a Comment