Thursday, November 21, 2013

5 Years In DC

Last week marked five years since I moved to the city, which means I've been a bad at updating this blog for five years! :) I've been thinking about this milestone a lot lately, and it's hard to put into words how I feel. When I think back on my life in southern Indiana before the move, it doesn't feel like that long ago until I start thinking about how much life has changed.

"New" friends are people I've known four years. There have been celebrations for marriages and tears for divorces. Babies are showing up all over the place. I'm now an aunt to two precious little girls, and an honorary aunt to a handful of others. I've changed jobs within my organization, and take my lunch to work like a grown up.

And then there's the big ones: I met, married, and celebrated multiple anniversaries with Ross. And we've even bought a house in the city. Didn't see that one coming so fast when I moved here.

But isn't that the beauty in life? You can have a five year plan, but then there are twists and turns along the way that you just have to go with. I can't imagine the next five years being as transformative and life changing as the last, but we'll just have to wait and see.

How has your life changed in the last 5 years?

Unpacking the surprise friends put on my moving truck

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kari, I remember when I came to DC that first Thanksgiving after you moved and was amazed at how at home you felt. You were making a life in a Huge city - I was and continue to be so proud of you. I also remember insisting you throw that toilet away! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Happy 5 Year Anniversary Kari!! I remember going to see the Sex and the City movie when you were just contemplating moving. Can't wait to see what happens in the next 5 years!