Thursday, May 16, 2013

That's What She Said



It all began in January 2007, sitting on my friend’s couch in Baltimore. She said, "You just have to see this one episode of The Office.” It was “Casino Night” when Jim finally tells Pam how he feels and kisses her. From that day on I was hooked.

I was a recent college graduate trying to figure out my place in this new grown up world. I had recently started going to a young adults group at my new church and a few of them had recommended I watch the show, so when I got back from my trip, they let me borrow their copies of the previous seasons. The antics of this office helped me feel better about my 9 to 5 existence.And that is how a TV show came to define my post-college twenties.

A TV show define 7 years of your life? I know it sounds a bit extreme but hear me out. In those first few years out of college, friendships were built around watching this show. My closest friends were the five of us who always got together to watch the latest episode. They were the people who also thought it was hilarious my neighbors were named Dwight and Angela. We threw a premiere party and dressed in character. When I moved to DC we’d still chat online about the funniest lines. I gave up TV for lent except for The Office. And when Ross and I started dating many people referred to as “Jim and Pam”.

But when it was announced this would be the last season I was ready to say goodbye. I’d grown and changed over the years and so had the show. It was no longer appointment television for me, and rather something I’d catch up on when I could. (Don’t get me wrong, I’ve still seen every episode.) I’ve spent many hours laughing, crying, and cringing with these characters over the years and I’m sure my final hours with them tonight won’t be any different.

**Today I went looking for some of the daily calendar quotes I kept a few years ago, and this is the only one I could find. "I work hard all day. I like knowing there's going to be a break. Most days I just sit and wait for the break." - Kevin

No comments: